The terror group Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the terror attack in Brussels today, which killed at least 28 people and injured nearly 60 others. The statement by the group – based in Iraq and Syria, and also behind last year’s Paris attack – was published by Amak News Agency, according to the Egyptian media.
Guns reports that just four days after the arrest of the last surviving suspected terrorist in the November Paris attacks, at least two explosions rock Brussels Tuesday morning, killing 31 people and wounding 100 others – the death toll rising as reports continue to come in.
Two of the blasts hit the international airport in the Belgium capital and another detonation occurred at a metro station, prompting officials to place the city on the highest alert level, NPR reports.
Several people were trapped in a subway tunnel following one of the explosions, according to raw and dramatic video posted by the Associated Press.
— ᴀʟxᴅᴍ (@alxdm) March 22, 2016
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump weighed in on the attack, saying he knew it was coming and that the U.S. should close its borders.
“I’ve been talking about this for a long time, and look at Brussels,” Trump said in a phone interview with “Fox & Friends” on Tuesday. “Brussels was a beautiful city, a beautiful place with zero crime, and now it’s a disaster city. It’s a total disaster.”
— FOX & friends (@foxandfriends) March 22, 2016
Trump’s opponent, Ohio Gov. John Kasich, also vying for the Republican presidential nomination, said America needs to strengthen ties with its allies to “root out evil.”
— John Kasich (@JohnKasich) March 22, 2016
At least one U.S. city launched counter-terrorism resources in response to the European bombing. The New York City Police Department released a statement saying it was monitoring the situation and preparing for the worst.
It’s unknown if the Brussels attack is linked to the recent arrest of Salah Abdeslam, who authorities say is the last surviving terrorist responsible for three coordinated attacks on Paris last year, but the Islamic State has claimed responsibility for both attacks, according to Egyptian media. Abdeslam allegedly helped to plan the attacks that ended in the deaths of 130 people and the wounding of 368 more in the French capital. Abdeslam ditched his suicide vest in a dumpster before fleeing to nearby Brussels, where he was arrested Friday.