Poland’s prime minister announced on Wednesday that they are no longer prepared to take the 7,000 refugees it agreed to accept in negotiations with the European Union because of the deadly attacks in Brussels.
Poland stepped up security measures after the Brussels attacks on Tuesday [Czarek Sokolowski/AP]
Fox News reported that the ruling party, Law and Justice, is staunchly anti-migrant, but had previously indicated it would respect a commitment by the previous government to resettle around 7,000 refugees.
But government spokesman Rafal Bochenek indicated Wednesday that Prime Minister Beata Szydlo’s government is reversing that position.
He said the government fears that Europe is not able to eliminate security risks connected to the mass influx of migrants, adding: “for us the most important thing is the safety of Poles.”
Beata Szydlo said she does “not see any possibility for the refugees to come to Poland” after explosions rocked the Belgian capital a day earlier, according to Polish broadcaster Superstacja.
Poland had planned to admit an initial 400 refugees this year, and the rest would be allowed in over the next three years.