Americans should be outraged at the millions of taxpayers’ money being spent on the Obama’s lavish vacations and travel expenses. The fact is, the Obama’s are abusing their position by taking advantage of taxpayer funds with unnecessary luxurious vacations and travel.
These staggering costs show why these documents were covered-up and why Judicial Watch had to sue in federal court to get them. Another transparency fail for the Obama administration.
* The outbound flight to Honolulu for the Obamas’ 2012-13 Christmas vacation cost taxpayers $2,214,393.60. The return flight to Washington cost $1,871,961.60. Flight expenditures alone came to $4,086,355.20.
* The outbound flight to California in August, 2013 for Obama to dine with Katzenberg and appear on the “The Tonight Show” cost taxpayers $1,209,926.40. The return flight to Washington cost $935,980.80. Flight expenditures alone came to $2,145,907.20.
* The Secret Service entourage accompanying President Obama and his family during their trip to sub-Saharan Africa from June 27 to July 3, 2013, incurred $2,189,727.60 in lodging, entertainment, and security expenses.
* Obama’s 2013 Africa Trip and Honolulu Vacation Cost Taxpayers $15,885,585.30 for Flight Expenses Alone.
* President Obama’s June 2013 trip to Belfast, Ireland, including a Dublin sightseeing side trip by Michelle Obama, her daughters, and her entourage, cost the taxpayers $7,921,638.66.
* The outbound flight to Martha’s Vineyard for the Obama family’s August 2014 vacation cost taxpayers $890,323.20. The return flight to Washington cost $273,945.60. Flight expenditures alone came to $1,164,268.80.
* President Obama’s February 2014 Palm Springs, California, and March 2014 Key Largo, Florida, golf outings cost the taxpayers $2,952,278 for flight expenses alone.
* U.S. Department of Air Force Headquarters Air Mobility Command records detail expenditures of $1,159,823.50 by President Obama in flight costs alone for his July 2014 fundraising trips to Denver, Colorado, and New York, New York.
Judicial Watch, which has used the Freedom of Information Act and lawsuits to uncover Air Force travel and Secret Service security costs of presidents for years, said that since taking office, the Obama’s and Vice President Joe Biden have charged taxpayers well over $40 million for vacations.
President Barack Obama has spent more time traveling overseas than any other U.S. president in history at this point in their presidencies, according to a study from the National Taxpayer Union Foundation (NTUF).
After Obama’s initial five years in the White House, he had taken 31 trips for a total of 119 days abroad. At that point in George W. Bush’s presidency, Bush had taken 28 trips for 116 days, and Bill Clinton had taken 27 trips for 113 days. After five years, Ronald Reagan had taken 14 trips for 73 days while Richard Nixon had taken 12 trips for 60 days after five years in the White House and Lyndon Johnson took 10 trips for 34 days at the half-decade mark. Dwight Eisenhower took 8 trips for 31 days after five years in the White House.
Africa: It cost taxpayers $11 million when the Obama’s went to Nelson Mandela’s funeral. They were there for 13 hours.
Breitbart reported in March 2014:
Citing a recent report in the Washington Examiner that found through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) that taxpayers are on the hook for about $228,288 per Air Force One flight hour in 2013, a 27 percent increase from the previously confirmed cost of $179,750 per fight hour that NTUF used in its last study, the taxpayer watchdog concludes that Obama’s flights have cost taxpayers more than any other president.
“Taken on its own, the $48,535 jump may not sound all that significant,” NTUF added about the cost increase for Air Force One. “However, when trips are many thousands of miles and span several time zones and continents, the difference can quickly add up.”
NTUF estimates that Obama’s trip to Europe and the Middle East “will likely involve about 29 hours of total travel time, assuming a cruising speed of 575 mph between Washington, Amsterdam, Brussels, Rome, and Riyadh, and then back to D.C.” That amount, the group says, is going to cost taxpayers millions of dollars.
“Using the previous estimate, the total cost of flying Air Force One between those international cities would be about $5,212,750,” NTUF wrote. “Using the new data, the cost comes out to $6,620,352.”
NTUF added that those amounts are just estimates, and the actual cost is likely to be higher. “While these figures are approximations, and do not account for the additional (and likely greater) expenses of transporting the President’s Secret Service and diplomatic entourage, backup aircraft, land vehicles, and advance security teams, it goes to show that higher Air Force One operational costs substantially change the budgetary magnitude of these trips,” NTUF wrote.
Africa Vacation in June 2013: Hundreds of US Secret Service agents joined the family in Senegal, South Africa, and Tanzania during the extended trip. A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, fully staffed with a medical trauma center was also stationed off shore. The flights alone in and around Africa came to approximately 35.5+ hours at a cost of $228,288 an hour, totaling $8,104,224. [Washington Post]
Michelle Obama, her daughters Sasha, front right, Malia, right in the back, and Michelle Obama’s mother Marian Robinson, at Capital International Airport in Beijing, China, on March 20, 2014. (AP Photo/Alexander F. Yuan, Pool)
The Beijing trip cost an estimated $384,479.19, as 1,345 room nights needed to be reserved for advance preparation, lodging, and office space for security, communications and staff.
Michelle Obama, takes a tour of Cambodia’s famed Angkor Wat temple complex Saturday, March 21, 2015, in Siem Reap, Cambodia costing taxpayers $242,500, according to a government contract.
Judicial Watch announced in March 2015 that it had obtained records from the U.S. Department of the Air Force revealing that the Obama family’s 2014 Christmas vacation to Honolulu, Hawaii, cost taxpayers $3,672,798 in flight expenses alone. Christmas in Hawaii is an annual tradition for the family and their most recent visit, from December 19, 2014, to January 4, 2015, marked their seventh Hawaiian vacation. The documents came from the Department of the Air Force in response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request filed on January 5, 2015. Costs for the trip to Hawaii, to the West Coast, and to Martha’s Vineyard last year, cost nearly $3 million alone in transportation.
According to other figures obtained by Judicial Watch over the past three years, Obama Hawaii Christmas vacations have cost taxpayers $15,540,515.10 in transportation expenses alone. This includes outbound and return flight expenses in 2012 totaling $4,086,355.20. (The Secret Service provided documents for Obama’s Christmas 2012 trip to Honolulu. The grand total is $654,599.40 including $409,225.78 in hotels.) Flight expenses for the Obama’s 2013 Christmas vacations to Hawaii cost taxpayers $7,781,361.30.
Judicial Watch also obtained records from the U.S. Department of the Air Force revealing the flight cost for Obama’s July 2014 fundraising expedition to Seattle, Washington, and San Francisco and Los Angeles, California, and the flight cost for the Obama Family’s August 2014 vacation to Martha’s Vineyard, came to a total of $2,825,751.80 in taxpayer-paid transportation expenses. The documents regarding the fundraising and vacation expenses came in response to two Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests filed on July 28, 2014 and August 25, 2014, respectively:
- Transportation for Obama’s July 2014 fundraising trip to Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles cost taxpayers $2,425,085.50
- Transportation for Obama family vacation to Martha’s Vineyard in August 2014 cost taxpayers $400,666.30
And let’s not forget Malia Obama’s March 2012 Spring Break vacation to Mexico. According to Judicial Watch records, obtained from the U.S. Secret Service as a result of a Judicial Watch Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit filed on September 20, 2012, the total taxpayer cost of the trip amounted to $115,500.87 (Judicial Watch v. U.S. Secret Service (No. 12-cv-01562)).
The following is a breakdown of the costs as detailed in the documents:
- Ground transportation: $23,964.81
- Lodging: $21,682.92
- Airfare: $47,767.34
- “Vouchers”: $21,636.14 (not itemized)
- Support Charges: $449.66 (travel for one from Mexico City to Oaxaca, not itemized)
Malia Obama’s spring break trip evoked controversy after the Obama White House reportedly ordered the removal of press reports detailing the trip. On March 19,2012, numerous online press outlets reported that Obama’s 13-year-old daughter, Malia Obama, was on a Spring Break trip to Mexico accompanied by 25 U.S. Secret Service Agents and as many as 12 of her friends.
Not surprising, shortly after the press reports surfaced they were quickly removed from the Internet. The trip took place shortly after the Texas Department of Public Safety issued a statement advising students on Spring Break “to avoid Mexico.”
Remember when Obama promised that he would not take vacations if elected President…
Photos courtesy of Google