President Trump addressed the nation from the Grand Foyer of the White House hours after Iran fired more than a dozen rockets at airbases in Iraq housing U.S. troops. Iran said the attack was in response to the U.S. drone strike last week that killed Qasem Soleimani, one of Tehran’s most powerful leaders.
The president announced that more “punishing sanctions” would be immediately levied against Iran until they change their ways.
“These sanctions will remain until Iran changes its behavior,” he said before adding that “today, I am going to ask NATO to become much more involved in the Middle East process.”
The Iranian Revolutionary Guards claimed responsibility for the attacks on Wednesday morning, while the Pentagon confirmed missiles were fired from Iran. The Guards later warned that if Washington responds with force, it would launch more attacks.
“We suffered no casualties … only minimal damage was sustained at our military bases,” Trump during his morning press conference. “No Iraqi lives were lost,” he added.
The president also demanded that Iran “abandon its nuclear ambitions and end its support for terrorism,” and called on U.S. allies to break from the Obama nuclear deal to “work together toward making a deal with Iran that makes the world a safer & more peaceful place.”
Trump also bashed the Obama administration’s conciliatory dealings with Iran and emphasized U.S. energy independence, calling on NATO allies to “to become much more involved in the Middle East process.”
The news media has been largely painting the ballistic missile attack on two military bases in Iraq as “retaliation” for the elimination of Iranian arch terrorism commander Qasem Soleimani, forgetting Soleimani was terminated after the unforgivable assault on the U.S. embassy and while reportedly plotting imminent attacks on Americans.
Javad Zarif, foreign minister of Iran, the world’s largest state sponsor of terrorism, tweeted the following:
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020
Zarif’s misleading statement makes it seem Iran is a victim defending itself against unprovoked U.S. “aggression.” In reality, the President Trump in recent months has shown remarkable restraint in the face of continued Iranian war posturing culminating in the unprovoked organized assault on the U.S. embassy in Iraq. The Pentagon says Soleimani was behind the attack.
U.S. officials reportedly said the attacks, which targeted bases in Al-Asad and Erbil, were designed to avoid U.S. casualties and further escalation. Of the 15 missiles fired, two hit Al-Asad, one hit Erbil, and four failed mid-flight.
“Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense . . . targeting base[s] from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched,” Iranian foreign minister Javad Zarif wrote on Twitter following the attack. “We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.”
After being briefed on the situation, Trump tweeted late Tuesday night that “All is well!”
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Yes, all is well, and that is because the United States has a president who will not back down to aggression against the American people, especially those who serve our country in the military.
This is a huge win for President Trump. No doubt, the left and Democrats will continue to criticize what many are saying is a move that removed the world’s most dangerous terrorist – even more important than taking out Osama bin Laden.