Two San Diego Police Officers Shot; One Killed (Video)


Authorities say one police officer has died and another is expected to survive after being shot in a San Diego while making a traffic stop near 38th St. and Boston Ave. late Thursday, according to San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman.

Authorities said early Friday that one person was in custody, but told residents to stay indoors while they searched the area for other potential suspects.
SWAT vehicles, helicopters and patrol cars were involved in the extensive operation.

According to KUSI  Back-up officers quickly arrived to find both officers suffering from gunshot wounds to their upper bodies, Chief Zimmerman said.

One officer was placed in the back of a patrol car and rushed to Scripps Mercy Hospital in Chula Vista with multiple gunshot wounds. Despite efforts from medical staff, the officer was pronounced dead, Chief Zimmerman said. He was a husband and father of two.

The second officer was transported to UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest suffering gunshot wounds to the upper body. The officer underwent surgery and is expected to make a full recovery.

The names of the officers were not released pending notification of family members, who were asking for privacy, Chief Zimmerman said.

“It is extremely difficult. There is nothing that prepares you to do that,” Chief Zimmerman said. “It is extremely difficult, you can imagine, early in the morning when a police chief knocks on a door of a family member.”

Officers found one suspect in a ravine in the 1300 block of S. 38th St, according to Chief Zimmerman. He was taken to the hospital to be treated for a gunshot wound.

Police continued to search the area around 38th St. in Southcrest for a possible second suspect, according to Chief Zimmerman. The scene remained active and police asked people in the area to shelter in place.

An investigation into the shooting of two San Diego police officers is still ongoing, Chief Zimmerman said. It was not immediately clear weather the shooting was an ambush.

The shooting in Southcrest comes less than two weeks after a man with ties to San Diego ambushed officers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, killing three and wounding three others. Officers in Dallas were also targeted by a gunman earlier this month.

On Aug. 6, 2011, a 36-year-old San Diego police officer who had just bought a meal for a child was fatally shot by a suicidal man who pulled up alongside his cruiser on University Avenue at 45th Street. Officer Jeremy Henwood, a four-year police department veteran and Marine reservist, died in a hospital early the next day.

Support began pouring in for San Diego police officers Friday morning.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer released this statement:

“Last night we lost one of San Diego’s finest. We grieve for our fallen officer and stand with his family during this very diffucult time. We also pray for the second officer shot last night as he recovers from surgery. Violence against the men and women who wear the badge is violence against us all. I ask all San Diegans and all people across our nation to join together in support of our officers who courageously protect our communities. We need them and they need us.”

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump also commented:

This is a developing story and will be updated as information becomes available.

Photo:  Bing


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here